Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2022 Edition ~ Underture

1. Completion Thread 2022 Edition ~ Underture

#1 Guardians of the Galaxy (PS5)

This is definitely a surprise for me! I bought it solely because it was heavily discounted about a month after it came out, but it is so good. It doesn't really break any new ground but the game is a lot of fun. Although you only control Starlord for the entire game, you can command the other GotG members to do their special moves during battle to mix things up. It is fun to experiment with different combos and maximize damage, my favorite is trapping them with Groot and then have Rocket throw in some grenades to take out multiple enemies. There are some sections that are really tough too by throwing a shit ton of enemies at you, so you have to prioritize what to take out first.

It is a fairly long game, and it is really impressive that the dev team wrote a ton of script throughout the game, and for the most part, they are really funny. They were able to capture the humor and banter of the movies, and in some way this is better because you are in the game and it feels more personal. The voice actors were really good too, they sound close enough to the movie cast and by the end of the game, I actually thought that is how they supposed to sound like. I highly recommend this game and definitely one of the best movie/comic book licensed game ever made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. I guess I need to check this one out. I've heard a lot of high praise for this game.

3. You definitely need to, it is dirt cheap and entertaining, best combo in the galaxy.

4. I finished a replay of FFX (first full one since release) on New Years Eve so just missed the deadline, so far this year only finished 2 puzzle games:

1) Unpacking

Neat little puzzle game from Gamepass where you unpack in a new place. Levels range from little kid moving to a new house, to dorm, and later all the way to whole house with something like 8 rooms. The perfect game pass game, where it only took about 2 hours, it was super low stress, but the story being insinuated through the situations (like moving into your childhood bedroom 2 years after moving into a boyfriends apartment) made it feel a little extra. Worth the free download.

2) Gorogoa

This one come highly lauded because it's hand drawn and a unqiue approach to puzzles where you have to decipher when layers appear and kind of slide puzzle them apart to zoom in or out and reattached them in a new way. That awkward description matches the awkward play in my opinion. It felt more like every section was wither trial and error, or significantly too obvious, neither of which was gratifying. I say skip it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    #1 Guardians of the Galaxy (PS5)

This is definitely a surprise for me! I bought it solely because it was heavily discounted about a month after it came out, but it is so good. It doesn't really break any new ground but the game is a lot of fun. Although you only control Starlord for the entire game, you can command the other GotG members to do their special moves during battle to mix things up. It is fun to experiment with different combos and maximize damage, my favorite is trapping them with Groot and then have Rocket throw in some grenades to take out multiple enemies. There are some sections that are really tough too by throwing a shit ton of enemies at you, so you have to prioritize what to take out first.

It is a fairly long game, and it is really impressive that the dev team wrote a ton of script throughout the game, and for the most part, they are really funny. They were able to capture the humor and banter of the movies, and in some way this is better because you are in the game and it feels more personal. The voice actors were really good too, they sound close enough to the movie cast and by the end of the game, I actually thought that is how they supposed to sound like. I highly recommend this game and definitely one of the best movie/comic book licensed game ever made.
    I cannot stress enough how much I agree with this. I thought I had told you about this game Eric but KoF summed up my feelings in this post. Since it's on PS4 you have no reason not to grab a copy of this awesome game.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

6. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    I cannot stress enough how much I agree with this. I thought I had told you about this game Eric but KoF summed up my feelings in this post. Since it's on PS4 you have no reason not to grab a copy of this awesome game.
    I know! The list of must play games is getting crazy.

7. I did not love Guardians. I plowed through it because the story was entertaining, but the gameplay is such a slog! The huddle up was fine to watch once, but everytime you have to watch the damn cutscene! Why the hell would you stop the action for a min to initiate a move.
    I just can’t stand bullet sponge enemies either.
    The game we a solid 6 for me.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

8. 1. Halo Infinite

Actually finished this late 12/2021, on solo legendary. I've been waiting for this game since the instant I finished the disappointment that was/is Halo 5: Guardians. It starts off very strong, lags a little bit towards 3/4's of the way in. It doesn't finish as strong as it could have. All that said, I really enjoyed this! It's a Halo ass Halo game. The grappleshot is awesome and exploring the the world feels so good. The gun play feels fantastic, probably the best it has ever been. The sound design is one of the best I've experienced in any game. The sound track is also good, but it doesn't reach the heights of previous entries (4 and 5 excluded). Reach is my favorite campaign. This ties for second with 3. Infinite was too burdened with 5's disaster of a story that it is going to take a couple of entries to course correct. Looking forward to what they do next with the narrative and the introduction of new areas (desserts, snow environments, jungles, etc.).

My history with Halo multiplayer though is very short. My very first experience with multiplayer Halo was Halo 5. And for as bad as the campaign for that game was, its multiplayer was excellent. It's the only multiplayer shooter that I ever invested in. I don't think Infinite's multiplayer is as good as 5's yet. It hasn't had many years to bake, but its off to a strong start. 5 didn't have big team battle, so I have nothing to compare that to, but man it's a lot of fun. I do not enjoy cross game play against PC players, so I hope they have an exclusive Xbox ranked play list. Cross game is fine for everything else I guess. I'm not too offended by the battle pass as I have never actually played a game with one and I pay absolutely no attention to it.

2. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

I admittedly tried this out because of the license. In the mid to late 90's I watched the OVA and really enjoyed it (though I haven't watched it since. I have no clue if it holds up). This is a pretty unremarkable Metroidvania. It is competent/adequate. It is pretty short and straightforward. It was okay. The developer is a small shop by the name of Team Ladybug. I decided to see if their other offering was any better...

3. Touhou Luna Nights

More of the same as Lodoss but without the appeal of the license. Not much to say here. The boss patterns were more interesting than the Lodoss ones. Pretty mediocre.

9. 3) Persona 5 Royal

I loved P5, it was my first introduction to the SMT series at all and I wasn't sure the social aspect would click with me before I played it, but then I got sucked the fuck in. Last year I got the itch to listen to the music and experience the game play loop again knowing what I now know, so I started up P5R in November or so. 92 hours later I finished with every confidant maxed except the twins (I don't fuck with Persona merging and things of that nature so fuck it), all character level 99, and a hankering to play it all over again with the confidant items just to see how broken it could be. I'm no going to any time soon, but if P6 doesn't come out for 5 more years maybe I will.

Greatest JRPG of all time. Period.

10. 1) Shin Megami Tensei V

Man, it's been a while since I played a non-Persona SMT game. I'm not sure which one it was, but I can tell you it was on PS2, so it's been a minute. SMT5 keeps and refines the fantastic combat system from SMT3, but it's a pretty big change up in a lot of ways. The overwhelming majority of the action takes place outdoors in these big semi-open playgrounds, which makes traversal and exploration a hell of a lot more interesting. There are a ton of QoL improvements that make the game less frustrating and easier to focus on what is fun, recruiting and fusing up new demons. Team building is very much the key to success, but they take a lot of the grinding out of it by giving you abundant opportunities to level up through side quests, items, and shrines. There are also a couple of old-school square-hallway dungeons in the game, but when I say a couple, I mean like two real ones and two very short ones.

The story was very thin, which was good sometimes, because it knew when to get out of the way, unlike Tales of Arise which would kick you in the teeth with hour long plot dumps. But, while it did have some new elements that were interesting, it treads a lot of the same thematic ground, and, most gallingly, doesn't really confront the player with many difficult moral choices, nor do the choices really matter outside of one or two needed to set up the game's optional superboss, who was so appallingly overpowered I opted to skip it rather than grind up the 10 levels needed. The different endings basically ignore everything you've done and just make you pick your ending before the final dungeon, which is pretty lame. Luckily the JRPG fundamentals are so good, I loved the game anyway.

2) Deathloop

I love Arkane, but I skipped Death of the Outsider and only played a couple hours of Prey, so it's been a while since I got into one of their games. Unlike Prey (which of course was made by the Austin team), the Dishonored DNA is really strong in this one. The awesome world-building that feels grounded in another reality, but still lived in, the art design, the focus on assassinations, all of it felt like the Arkane I love. The loop structure, while very roguelike on paper, isn't in practice; progress is more about completing missions, which give you the knowledge to take on new missions, and eventually all of that will unlock all of the circumstances needed to complete all the criteria in one loop. So it isn't nearly as repetitive as it sounds, you are mostly exploring new areas and completing new missions on each loop, even if there's some overlap. There is a randomized loot element to reward you when you do complete the same stuff over, although the limited loadout keeps you from getting OP this way.

The lack of saves and checkpoints is definitely the most interesting complication, but also inevitably a bit frustrating. Each "loop" is broken into four "turns," which represent a unique time of day. If you die at any point, or you survive and complete all four turns, you loop (keeping whatever gear you spent points to "infuse"), but since you can skip turns and since mission progress/knowledge carries over, you don't have to worry too much about anything other than completing the mission in the "turn" you're in -- except for a few situations (like the final loop) where you have to do stuff in earlier turns to trigger events in later turns. You also get three lives (which replenish each turn), which makes it a little easier. But it can still get frustrating spending 40 minutes on a mission only to get murked heading for the exit. With that said, the raised stakes adds a lot of tension, and also forces you to "roll with it" when you mess up rather than save scumming and trying to ghost through the game perfectly, like I inevitably end up doing in Dishonored. In fact, once I unlocked the Havoc power (and learned where the best spots to fall back and heal were), I ended up going in hot a lot and killing everyone rather than trying to stealth my way to targets in risky areas. The rock stupid AI makes this not quite as exciting as it should be though. Overally I was happy with how much it retained from the Arkane games I love while still having its own identity. I do think the loop gimmick was probably a way to get more game out of a smaller budget, but it works.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 25 Jan 2022 at 09:11 AM.