Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2022 Edition ~ Underture

1. #2: Dirt 5 (PC) - I can't believe that this came game out @ November of 2020. I guess with the release of Forza Horizon 5, a bunch of playtime with Wreckfest and CyberPunk coming out about a year ago. This game got lost in the shuffle. I absolutely hated the Gymkata levels, because I could never get the car to do donuts around a pole and the courses were too small to maneuver around. Some of the races were freaking awesome and this game was more difficult to run than FH5. It was well worth the return to finish it.

2. The Gymkata crap is part of the reason I stopped playing Dirt (any). I really liked the races but the trick nonsense to advance further in the game wore me out.

3. 1) Lords of the Fallen (PS4) - Cleared it then did the NG+ and NG+2.

2) Rastan Saga (arcade) - 1 credit clear on Japanese version. Forget Rastan 2 and play this one instead.

3) Serious Sam 4 (PS5) - A decent port of the PC FPS, but unfortunately it does suffer some frameskip in some of the more intense battles. Croteam should optimize this version a little more.

4) Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem (PC) - This spinoff of Serious Sam 4 (not really a DLC, but a standalone expansion) is very good. Five missions for $20 isn't bad. There are a few new enemies added such as the Hopper and Draconian Burner (a deadlier version of the Pyromaniac, with dual lasers replacing the flamethrower). One of the more powerful weapons you can use in this is actually a crossbow, especially once you've added the sniper scope.

4. #10 Castlevania (NES)

I DID IT. I F'ing DID IT. 36 years later, I finally beat this game. The furthest I ever got back in the day was the Grim Reaper, and gave up for 3+ decades. I have tried on and off the past few years and never made it past GR. I finally was able to destroy him this weekend and beat Dracula (which is honestly a lot easier than GR). I am going to do it a few more times and get better at it. It is definitely one of my favorite NES games, the music on stage 3-5 are some of the best tunes on the system.

5. I love the sound chip in the NES. It's a toss up between the NES and C64 for the best 8-bit chiptunes of that era.

6. #11 The Order: 1886

This might the shortest game that took the longest time to finish. I got this back in 2017 or so, and stopped playing it twice. The game is just so boring. The only time it gets challenging is when they decide to throw 100 guys at you in a tiny area where you don't have any decent hiding spots. The Gears of War over the shoulder view also sucks and gives you zero peripheral vision as well. Otherwise, the game is really easy. The graphics is really impressive for its time, it still looks good today and doesn't look out of place on the PS5. However, there is very little interactivity with the environment, you can only pick up and view a few select items on each stage, and that's about it. Weapons are also limited, basically the game feels so limited in every way. The story could also be more interesting, given how short it is. You want to find out more about the half-breeds but the game just ends.

7. 5) Nioh Remastered (PS5) base game
    I had given up on it on the PS4 about halfway through, but now I've done it. There was some early frustration with one-hit deaths, like Umi-bozu's death ray that got me the first few times, and certain enemy grabs/throws. As a PS5 remaster of a 5-year old PS4 game, it still looks great. I went with the 4K resolution instead of the 120 FPS mode. Out of the weapon selection, I liked spears the best for their range. The Samurai-era Japan theme with Yokai is a nice departure from the Dark Souls type one. Skill trees for each weapon, Ninjutsu techniques, and Onmyo magic are good.

There are a couple changes I'd have made to this: get rid of one-hit deaths (a hit landed on you by the enemy should do no more than 70% of your max HP), and allow escaping enemy grabs if your Ki is high enough.

8. #12: TMNT: Shredder's Revenge (XB)

I solo'ed through the Story mode, which has 16 stages. Most of them are fairly short and can be finished in 5-8 minutes. The game controls well, although I saw gamevet's complaints but I didn't have the weird down for jump bug and I only use the D-pad. They throw a ton of enemies on screen and each stage has unlockable items and its own specific challenges such as not falling into a pit twice or get hit once for more challenge. The game's difficulty is fairly easy, especially with boss fights with very simple patterns and not being a sponge. I enjoyed it quite a bit and dived into the online arcade mode immediately afterwards. Playing with 5 other people is a pretty wild experience, especially when other players started to spam their special and the screen is very chaotic and hard to see your character. Casey is probably the best person to use in multiplayer due to his more unique sprite and special. Finished it in arcade mode online and will likely buy the switch cartridge later just to have it as a portable title.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    #12: TMNT: Shredder's Revenge (XB)

I solo'ed through the Story mode, which has 16 stages. Most of them are fairly short and can be finished in 5-8 minutes. The game controls well, although I saw gamevet's complaints but I didn't have the weird down for jump bug and I only use the D-pad. They throw a ton of enemies on screen and each stage has unlockable items and its own specific challenges such as not falling into a pit twice or get hit once for more challenge. The game's difficulty is fairly easy, especially with boss fights with very simple patterns and not being a sponge. I enjoyed it quite a bit and dived into the online arcade mode immediately afterwards. Playing with 5 other people is a pretty wild experience, especially when other players started to spam their special and the screen is very chaotic and hard to see your character. Casey is probably the best person to use in multiplayer due to his more unique sprite and special. Finished it in arcade mode online and will likely buy the switch cartridge later just to have it as a portable title.
    I figured out what had happened. I was trying to use my Hori Rap4 Akai arcade stick (PS/PS4/PS3) in PC mode and it was only recognizing one button (a/x). When I was trying to program the buttons, the x button showed up as D-pad down, for some odd reason. I gave up on the arcade stick and pulled out my Xbox One gamepad. I didn't discover what had happened, until I had decided to use the arcade stick in PS4 mode. Everything seemed to be okay now, but when I looked in the custom button setup, there was the culprit, the X button programmed as Dpad down.

I really don't get why there is a PC mode for these arcade sticks, because it doesn't work well at all. It's much easier to just plug in a stick as a PS4 controller (even easier than setting up an Xbox gamepad) and it just works. It's crazy how easy it is to use PlayStation controllers with the PC, but trying to use a PC controller is almost a pain in the ass.

10. TMNT Shredder's Revenge - beat the Story mode solo and then went through some random stages with folks online. Easily a better game in terms of overall quality and quantity of stages. It is a LONG fucking game tho - but I don't mind that for story since I'll only play a stage or two at a time again. Cannot fathom doing an arcade mode in one full shot uninterrupted tho.

Beat Katamari Damacy Reroll via Game Pass - it has held up wonderfully and I hope the sequels hit modern platforms down the line.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan