Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread - 2023 The End is Near

1. Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiMoogle View Post
    Yes, I played the first game. I kinda slogged through the first game because it was the first game I played in 4k and it looked incredible. I kinda hated the combat, so thats why I played the new one on easy. Made a big difference for me.
    I also mean, I would definitely play the third game when that eventually comes out since the way FW ends….
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

2. Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiMoogle View Post
    Yes, I played the first game. I kinda slogged through the first game because it was the first game I played in 4k and it looked incredible. I kinda hated the combat, so thats why I played the new one on easy. Made a big difference for me.
    There's a lot of cool powerups and weapons that will make you quite powerful near the end. There's even a hidden armor set that will really help you keep your health in the final battle. Those Saber Tigers (or whatever they're called) become easy prey, once you have the weapons to dispense of it with a couple of hits.

3. #4 God of War (2018) (PS4/PS5)

I originally played this on the PS4 in 2018, but after the first boss fight, I put it down because it doesn't feel like a GoW game. I think I wanted a next gen GoW with combo focused combat, even though the series always have a ton of puzzles. I should have played it for what it is, an action RPG in a somewhat open world that focus on treasure hunting. It is more Tomb Raider than the first few GoWs, with a number of upgrade systems to make Kratos/Atreus stronger as you get deeper in the game. The combat is actually really good, but less focus on combo and more on reaction similar to FROM's Dark Souls or Sekiro. Deflecting and dodging are key, and the optional boss battles absolutely test your skills to the fullest. I managed to beat all the Valkyries including the Queen (which is the hardest boss), it took many hours to try but it is so rewarding to get incrementally better and then finally beat them at their own game. In that way, it feels very much like a Souls game. I completed this on the PS5, which got a next gen patch. It is smooth as butter with HDR lighting that makes it looks like a next gen game. I am going to pick up Ragnarok and continue the journey.

4. Ragnarok is pretty fucking great. I really really like the Norse setting and Mythology in these games. Thor is awesome in this, needed more of him.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

5. Agree, Norse mythology really fits well with Kratos, it is fun to see GoW franchise evolved into a different genre and setting.

6. Yeah 2018 is its own thing that needs to be taken on its own terms. It's very much a reboot, even if it isn't one that jettisons the continuity. Ragnarok, on the other hand, feels very much like Part 2 of that game. I enjoyed it a lot, though it didn't 100% stick the landing.

7. Hi-Fi Rush

Genuinely a new classic for me, and easily the best Xbox first party title of the generation. It's got a fresh and original concept, but the creative spirit and tone remind me of the fun, colorful Japanese action games of the Dreamcast/GameCube era; stuff like Jet Set Radio, Viewtiful Joe, and Space Channel 5. Despite the low-profile shadow-drop release and budget price, the game really wants for nothing. Gorgeous animation and graphics, well-done cut-scenes (including some 2D animation), a 12 hour campaign and lots of side content.

Gameplay-wise I'd compare it most closely to Bayonetta -- light platforming and exploration between "arena" combat. The combo system and action are easily on par with that game or anything else in the genre, and the rhythm mechanics add to that sense of being in the zone/groove, and it just feels good to play. Audio latency is a bit of a barrier -- I found the game more difficult to play on my sound bar than I did with headphones or on my PC. It's well optimized and runs at 120 fps no problem on PC with no shader comp stutter, so that's really the way to go if you can.

This is definitely a game I'm going to leave installed and throw on when ever I need to unwind or improve my mood. I can tell it's going to have staying power, because it's just so fun to play.

8. #5 Goldeneye (XBSX)

Another unfinished business bites the dust. I was stuck on the stage "Streets" in the original N64 on 00 agent difficulty, the horrible draw distance and crappy framerate along with somewhat bad control all contributed my frustration to stop playing. The XB port is smooth as butter and the draw distance is mostly rectified (only rearing its ugly head in the final stage). The modern day FPS control also makes this game much easier. Even with all that, there are two stages that were just brutal on the hardest difficulty (Control and Aztec). This game still holds up today, I think the best part is the atmosphere and sound/music design. Shooting the bad guys in the throat never gets old either.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Hi-Fi Rush

Genuinely a new classic for me, and easily the best Xbox first party title of the generation. It's got a fresh and original concept, but the creative spirit and tone remind me of the fun, colorful Japanese action games of the Dreamcast/GameCube era; stuff like Jet Set Radio, Viewtiful Joe, and Space Channel 5. Despite the low-profile shadow-drop release and budget price, the game really wants for nothing. Gorgeous animation and graphics, well-done cut-scenes (including some 2D animation), a 12 hour campaign and lots of side content.

Gameplay-wise I'd compare it most closely to Bayonetta -- light platforming and exploration between "arena" combat. The combo system and action are easily on par with that game or anything else in the genre, and the rhythm mechanics add to that sense of being in the zone/groove, and it just feels good to play. Audio latency is a bit of a barrier -- I found the game more difficult to play on my sound bar than I did with headphones or on my PC. It's well optimized and runs at 120 fps no problem on PC with no shader comp stutter, so that's really the way to go if you can.

This is definitely a game I'm going to leave installed and throw on when ever I need to unwind or improve my mood. I can tell it's going to have staying power, because it's just so fun to play.
    I downloaded it tonight, for my PC. It looks like a combination of Jet Set Radio and Bayonetta. Looking forward to playing it.

10. #6: Gungrave G.O.R.E. (XBSX)

Finished this on Easy/Normal/Hard. If you like the first 2 GG on PS2, you will like this one. The game is pretty much all action, you have many ways to shoot and kill as much and as fast as possible. Similar to other action games, you are graded in both style/combos/time. I pretty much ignore the grading system as I never seem to be able to string together too many combos. Easy and Normal are pretty much cakewalks, especially with upgrades. Hard gets tough because they are bullet sponges. The latter stages get a bit overwhelming as they just throws tons of the tougher monsters with not much room to hide. It is fun if you like the formula, or in between some of the longer/meatier games.

Finishing it on hard also unlocks the GORE difficulty, I would imagine that to be pretty tough and requires a fully upgraded character to beat. Overall, a solid middle of the road action game.