Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Californication

1. Californication

Is there not a thread on this?

Just picked up Season I, saw "Showtime" and thought "half-ass."

- It's actually pretty good.
    - Especially if you like stories about writers
    - ...or if you got out of a long relationship, with a girl, with a kid.
    - The comedy is good, but the insight and soap opera shit is what surprised me.
    - Incredibly "R" at times, fits right in with the 70's stuff I'm currently into.

Hoping Season II doesn't jump shark.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 22 Apr 2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: subtitle
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. Season 2 jumped the shark and then some.

Season 1 was quite fun though.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. Damn. Why can't they mini series some of this shit??

EDIT: LOL I wondered about this (wiki)

The Red Hot Chili Peppers filed a lawsuit on November 19, 2007 [12] against Showtime Networks over the name of the series, which is also the name of the band's 1999 album and hit single. They state in the lawsuit that the series "constitutes a false designation of origin, and has caused and continues to cause a likelihood of confusion, mistake, and deception as to source, sponsorship, affiliation, and/or connection in the minds of the public"[13]. Pointing to Dani California, a penis that appears in both the series and three songs by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (including Californication) as well as confusion when shopping for the their album and that of the series soundtrack, the band members are seeking unspecified damages. They are also requesting that a new name be found for the TV show.[14] Showtime Networks is expected to argue that the band did not in fact create the term Californication (a portmanteau of California and fornication). They claim that the term first appeared in print in Time Magazine in 1972, in an article called The Great Wild Californicated West [15].

Kim Walker, head of intellectual property at Pinsent Masons, states that the band should have registered Californication as a trademark. Instead, the only application for such was filed in April, 2007 in the US, by Showtime. The mark has not yet been registered. Walker has also stated:

"Successful songs, albums and movies can become brands in themselves. What's really surprising is how few songs and albums are properly protected," said Walker. "The Chili Peppers could almost certainly have registered a trade mark for 'Californication', notwithstanding Time's article. They made the word famous, but it doesn't automatically follow that they can stop its use in a TV show." "If they had registered the title as a trade mark covering entertainment services, I very much doubt we'd have seen a lawsuit. The TV show would have been called something else," he said. "As it is, the band faces an uphill struggle.[16]"

The matter remains unresolved.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 22 Apr 2009 at 10:00 AM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. I'm a fan. The chick who was on The Nanny grew up to be a knockout.

5. I couldn't get into this. Too much middle-age crisis crap. Boo-hoo.
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

6. I've only watched the first season, which I loved. My interest in the second season waned based on how season 1 ended. It could have only gone one of two ways. Turn the show into something completely different since the goal of the first season was achieved, or reset the ending and have season two completely mimic season one. I wasn't up for either.
    As I stated before, it got pretty pretentious at times, but never did one episode fail to deliver a hearty laugh or "oh my god" moment.

7. We recently started watching this on Netflix, sucks to hear season 2 is no good.

8. Season 2 is still great. Maybe not quite as good but it doesn't take a Weeds-style nose-dive.

9. Speaking of, weeds S5 got interesting.

10. Meh.

Shane holding a knife to that spanish-douche's throat was an A+ moment though