Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know to wrap a label around a beer bottle using photoshop?

1. Anyone know to wrap a label around a beer bottle using photoshop?

I've been trying to figure this out for days on CS2. Finally I gave up and installed CS4, which appears to have the transform tools I think I need but I still can't get the .psd of my label onto the .jpg of the bottle. Any tips?
    Last edited by SpoDaddy; 01 Oct 2009 at 02:21 AM.

Put the label on a different layer and then press "command T" and move it until it's right

3. command T only works for SOL.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. It's hard to explain because there's some skill involved with it.

I would suggest making your label artwork over the bottle photo layer on a new layer like Josh suggested (make the label artwork in a different .PSD entirely and bring it in flattened on one layer). Trace the bottle shape with the pen tool and create a layer mask using the shape on your bottle label layer. Then bend and use the transform tool to tweak it as much as you can. This is where the skill part comes in, I guess.

That's how I usually do it. Also try to incorporate the shadow and highlights on the bottle in to the label a little bit. It should be a different level of diffuse and shading on it because labels do that stuff different than a reflective bottle. If you have the label looking OK, but want to keep on tweaking to make it better make sure to duplicate the layer and turn one of them off. And then keep on tweaking on the new layer. That way if you fuck up you can fall back on where you were without having to go through the History palette. If you rely on the history palette sometimes you get fucked.

Having a pretty straight on bottle shot might help, too. The more angular things get the harder it will be without knowing how the tools behave.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 30 Sep 2009 at 12:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. Why metal bottles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Why metal bottles?
    I have to market a new brand of light beer for a class and I went with aluminum bottles because they're easier/more profitable to recycle and they keep beer cold almost an hour longer than glass bottles.

7. Please tell me this isn't your future profession.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Hubbitron View Post
    Please tell me this isn't your future profession.
    No, it's not.

9. FEUF! I meant the marketing, not the photoshop.