Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To

1. They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To

I am watching Beverly Hills Cop (again). Jesus Christ, this movie is So Good. The opening chase scene with the rig crashing through all the cars is still awesome. There's a kineticism you just don't get with the CG fakery of today. Even though you can tell most of the cars are gutted, it's still tense and thrilling.
    I don't know how much of this was scripted and how much Murphy adlibbed, but the dialogue is hilarious and comes off natural. The one liners arent forced the way they are in modern rip offs.
    Bronson Pinchott and Damon Wayans have me rolling in their bit parts.

Anyway, i love this movie and i wish the genre hadnt become the lifeless mockery that it has.
    Pull up your rockers and let's bitch about some other stuff.

2. "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. Safari won't let me see whatever that is.

4. The H is O, baby!
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. It's also nice to see a much younger, but still badass "Mike."

6. Action movies have all become Back to the Future: The Ride. I used to like action movies but now they're all 3D explosion in yo' face and I just can't deal. I can't watch any of this horseshit comic book nonsense anymore. Movies are all designed around being some kind of 3D amusement park spectacle rather than being a good movie.

I think it's because when people want to watch a good movie they pull up netflix and pay their. $0.0004 or whatever they get for you watching that, and they only go to movies and pay $12 to watch a the visual spectacle.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 11 Mar 2013 at 12:42 AM.

7. I've posted this here before, but it bears posting again...this tells you everything you need to know about what's wrong with today's action movies:

The Ruthless Guide to 80's Action

8. ITT: Old people

(I hate new action movies too)

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Action movies have all become Back to the Future: The Ride. I used to like action movies but now they're all 3D explosion in yo' face and I just can't deal. I can't watch any of this horseshit comic book nonsense anymore. Movies are all designed around being some kind of 3D amusement park spectacle rather than being a good movie.

I think it's because when people want to watch a good movie they pull up netflix and pay their. $0.0004 or whatever they get for you watching that, and they only go to movies and pay $12 to watch a the visual spectacle.
    This is true of a lot of entertainment these days, and I think this is the first generation where older people making this critique isn't just a result of them being out of touch...mainstream movies and music have de-evolved to the point of being the most vapid shit possible. Autotuned people sing songs written for them by other people about nothing, movies cram in as many CG landscapes and stunts and remakes as possible while foregoing any shread of personality or originality...if you want a quality entertainment experience these days, it's still out there, but you have to dig for it more and more.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 11 Mar 2013 at 09:41 AM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    I think this is the first generation where older people making this critique isn't just a result of them being out of touch.
    Every generation thinks this.