Page 245 of 968 FirstFirst ... 231241243244245246247249259 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,450 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. The obesity epidemic is because of the government anyway.

2. I think we need to get poor people as fat as possible as soon as possible so they physically can't reproduce.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. ~ Stop subsidizing sugar ~

Our relationship to food is all kinds of messed up. I dramatically overhauled how I eat for the past two weeks, and while I've found success and I'm already down 10lb, I know I can't sustain this forever.

Nutrition is the least important part of our relationship to food these days.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

4. The Trump Presidency

In the 1980s, the government told people to stop eating fats and essentially carbo-load permanently. Naturally tasty and actually healthy fats were replaced by sugar and chemicals more addictive to heroin.

Do I think the government was malevolent in doing this? No but they didn't know what they were speaking of. That's the problem.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    edit: It's a much better argument for healthy food delivery from local farms in lieu of food stamps.
    This sounds nice, but there aren't farms where there aren't farms (though this wouldn't apply to that obese chunk of midwest, obviously). Also, the waste and environmental cost associated with transporting fresh food is something to consider.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    It's a much better argument for healthy food delivery from local farms in lieu of food stamps.
    THIS. I'm guessing you're looking to subsidize crop share things in some way that helps the farmers and their communities. CT is working on something like that but it won't pass because this state can't government right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    Our relationship to food is all kinds of messed up.
    It really is. Even adhering to 2k calories and recommended levels for other foods seems impossible if I don't prepare it myself. I eat fewer than that but still. My wife just did a Color Run with the group of girls in her fitness coven and afterward they went to Bar Louie. The place lists the cal values for everything and they had a plate of nachos that was just shy of 3k. It really caused me some issues because on one hand, it should really be against some kind of rule to serve a human being that much in "one" plate (the person ordering that is not going to eat a 1/4 of it, box it up, and then eat 1/4 for dinner the following 3 days) and that's just calories. Who knows what the rest of it is, outside of the likely insane amount of sodium. But on the other hand, people should suffer the consequences of their actions. But then, I have to pay more for health insurance because of them. But then, we can't just decline them coverage because of their condition. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I think we need to get poor people as fat as possible as soon as possible so they physically can't reproduce.
    ianmalcom.jpg

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    This sounds nice, but there aren't farms where there aren't farms (though this wouldn't apply to that obese chunk of midwest, obviously). Also, the waste and environmental cost associated with transporting fresh food is something to consider.
    In the scenario I mentioned, we could get farms where there aren't farms. CSAs are way better than going to the grocery store and grabbing stuff. It obviously doesn't cover all the stuff people need, though, and we definitely need to put some serious thought into transportation; you are right.
    Last edited by Calliander; 15 Jun 2017 at 12:59 PM.

7. You know, we should really run this country. We have such a good gamut of opinions and even when we're being shitty to one another we're still able to get along better than Congress.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    ~ Stop subsidizing sugar ~

Our relationship to food is all kinds of messed up. I dramatically overhauled how I eat for the past two weeks, and while I've found success and I'm already down 10lb, I know I can't sustain this forever.

Nutrition is the least important part of our relationship to food these days.
    But we gotta help all those corn farmers!
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    You know, we should really run this country. We have such a good gamut of opinions and even when we're being shitty to one another we're still able to get along better than Congress.
    That's not a bad point.

We'll never see a day in our lifetimes where the government will actively fix the issues we have with food stamps. There will be pockets of progressive action through the country (like the food delivery method) but parts of the midwest and south will lag behind, and inevitably this is where the highest concentration of need is located.
    I'm just hoping we get food in pill form soon, but that's wishful thinking too
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

Soylent.