Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Should You Experience Ego Death?

1. Megaman When Should You Experience Ego Death?

I did at 37. I wish I did at 27. I don't know if I could have, but it would have made my life so much more pleasant, not fighting myself.

Our popular culture encourages our egos as a self-defense mechanism against the onslaught of advertisements everywhere telling us how inadequate we are for not having more product X. I believe that is the root of spiteful internet culture and toxic political arguments. When society at large tells you you have nothing, you cling to the one thing left, your ego, your righteousness. No one can take that from you.

But, taking it from yourself is probably the best thing for your health.

Click for full size
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

What do you define as ego death?

3. The nemesis following the hubris.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

I'm not going to humor this thread if you continue to be vague.

5. It's not vague. It's the shared trait that everyone's own path takes. Every individual has their own hill they're willing to die on, the nemesis comes when the losses outweigh the fight to keep that hill. It's putting yourself before others. There are plenty of clichés that cover the same point. Hubris and nemesis are just the oldest. Ego death is that personal loss in life that kills your ego and allows you to move on.

6. I remember a time several years ago, when I was very busy at a job and this poor black woman was asking for a jump start for her car. My ego told me to move on, but my inner beliefs told me to help her. It turned out that her car battery wasn't the problem. It was the nut that held the cable clamp to the battery that was the problem. I enforced the clamp and told her that she would need to get a nut and bolt to secure the connection. She thanked me and asked what she could do to repay me. I told her to pay it forward. I didn't need anything from her, she was a person in need of help and that she should do the same for someone else in need of help.

7. I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. It's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor ... and surviving.

8. I hit the reset button in my brain in my early 20's.

9. Yeah, no, I understand what you're saying, but... is it sexier than torture?
    Anecdotal, but from what I've seen it's only possible in compartments.

Like, there are things I have zero ego about and that's awesome. Happened at various points throughout my life. But on some stuff I'll never get past myself. People are gonna die on hills.

Living without some form of investment isnt a virtue. The cult of coolness should die.